moneymagpie

Friday, February 16, 2007

The most expensive street in the country is in my borough - Kensington and Chelsea - I have not been surprised to learn today from a BBC item on the website. Kensington Square (a very nice, though busy, square just behind Kensington High Street) has the highest-priced property in the country, closely followed by a bunch of other froo-froo streets around the borough (see the list below).

I should be pleased but I'm not. It's all insanity. One of my neighbours who has a lot of investment property told me yesterday that she is putting on the market the flat she owns in my building. It's a rather dingy-looking one-bedroomed flat with a tiny lobby, a shower room, a small double bedroom (one double bed and about a foot of space around it) and a living room with a kitchenette in it. How much has it been valued at (according to her)? £400,000. This is just stupid. It would need at least another £20,000 spending on it to make it good, I consider, and I really hope that it stays on the market for some time until she is forced to bring the price down.

We are in line for a 'correction' in house prices. The question is when. In the meantime, if you're interested in big numbers, the ridiculous rises - almost daily round here at the moment - at least make entertaining reading.

TOP 20 MOST EXPENSIVE STREETS
Street Name Area Average value
1 Kensington Square Kensington and Chelsea £5,534,480
2 Chelsea Square Kensington and Chelsea £5,098,047
3 Carlyle Square Kensington and Chelsea £4,727,542
4 Thornwood Gardens Kensington and Chelsea £4,696,139
5 Cottesmore Gardens Kensington and Chelsea £4,662,633
6 Gilston Road Kensington and Chelsea £4,582,113
7 The Vale Kensington and Chelsea £4,488,764
8 Carlton Gardens City of Westminster £4,354,313
9 Ingram Avenue Barnet £4,323,591
10 Eldon Road Kensington and Chelsea £4,254,850
11 Albert Place Kensington and Chelsea £4,216,660
12 Victoria Road Kensington and Chelsea £4,216,500
13 Mulberry Walk Kensington and Chelsea £3,975,900
14 Winnington Road Barnet £3,805,664
15 Campden Hill Square Kensington and Chelsea £3,796,243
16 Douro Place Kensington and Chelsea £3,792,433
17 Neville Street Kensington and Chelsea £3,758,067
18 Egerton Crescent Kensington and Chelsea £3,614,762
19 St Albans Grove Kensington and Chelsea £3,576,717
20 Chester Terrace Camden £3,481,783
Source: mouseprice.com

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger isobel said…

    hello, I love that you have done a piece on house prices in london. But I have to add my own 2 pence worth. I now live in wales because it was the only way I could get on the property ladder, So 6 years ago I was thrilled to find a 3 bed house, close to schools and doctors and shops, but nice and rural, a huge garden, all for £24000! All in wales, so I bought it and moved here. Unfortunatley I was forced to sell the house as part of a divorce 2 years later, but the money I made back was not enough to get back on the property ladder, so i decided to save.
    Only the average house price is on a par with london 6 yrs ago! A 3 bed mid-terrace house, with no garden, one double room and two boxrooms, averages £180000!! All that in just 6 years? And yet the average wage is less than £6 per hour. How can anyone afford to buy a house these days, if you cant even afford one in wales?
    I now have 4 children and a council house, I dont recieve benefits or anything of that nature, My new hubby and I are hard working and pay all our own taxes, but we struggle to pay the rent each month, £75 per week, which is on a par compared to what I was paying for a big 5 bed detached house, in the richest parts of the country before I moved to wales.
    Yet I earn less now than I ever have done, what is this country comming to? Who is pushing up the house prices so high? Why are our wages not being pushed up too? why cant my family get help with housing costs and benefits when we work so hard and struggle daily, yet families around us who have never worked in their lives, always have money to spend, and live in their houses rent free??
    I see this country going into a major depression very soon, the money is going to the wrong people, there are jobs here, yet foriengers are getting them because people here are better off on the dole. The wages are being kept to minimum wage by these foriengners who will work for nothing and mean time the rest of us are slowly being driven to poverty!
    Tell me what I can do to earn enough money to buy me a house? Because everything I have tried doesnt work. I dont even have a few pounds left over each week to save! thats how bad it is for us :(

    Issy xxxxx good luck in april xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home